The Ocean X Team is still investigating the ultra-strange Baltic Anomaly, a gigantic underwater formation. What have they found so far?
Background on the Baltic Anomaly
Here’s a quick background. Last summer, the Ocean X Team used side-scan sonar to “photograph” a strange object deep in the Baltic Sea, approximately 260 feet below surface. It’s about 200 feet in diameter, with a tail stretching over 1,300 feet across the sea floor. Recently, the team returned to the site to give it a closer look.
Latest News on the Baltic Anomaly
On June 6, the team reported the following update:
“The ship Ancylus, carrying the Ocean X Team, is now anchored above the circle-shaped object. They started to scan the seabed and they are taking samples for analyses. Due to really bad weather conditions the operation took a little bit longer than scheduled. But they are working hard and prepare to dive down there for further investigations today.” ~ Ocean X Team on Site, June 6, 1:00pm
Okay, so that’s not really news. However, it’s good to hear the expedition got underway without too much of a hitch. The real news came yesterday:
“BREAKING NEWS 2pm, The divers are now down and investigating the circle and reports from the ship say they are really amazed. There is definitely something unusual hiding at the seabed – a Mystery Beneath. More information and pictures will be released next week.” ~ Ocean X Team on Site, June 7, 2:00pm
A Mystery Beneath?
“A Mystery Beneath?” Wow! Sounds intriguing huh? And yet, incredibly unspecific. The Ocean X Team is being pretty cagey here. That should be no surprise, seeing as how the entire project is being filmed by Titan Television. Titan has apparently reserved the website, BalticCowboys.com, for the eventual documentary. Unfortunately, this very caginess makes it impossible to unpack the statement. Which is probably the point. The team and Titan have the ears of the public, especially the ufologists. Once they start to reveal details, the public could lose interest, especially if the Anomaly turns out to be a natural underwater formation.
The Ocean X Team promises “more information and pictures” next week. Personally, we think ufologists should temper their expectations. Nothing in these latest statements dissuades our theory. We continue to think the Baltic Anomaly is a hot spring. It would explain the radiation reported by the Ocean X Team, as well as the Anomaly’s strange shape.
“When hot water is expelled from a hot spring, it causes dissolved minerals and the surrounding soil to be driven outward. These materials eventually cool and harden in the water. All in all, this might account for the vast amount of disturbed seabed as well as an object that looks like a sandbar.” ~ David Meyer, The Baltic Anomaly: UFO…or just a Hot Spring?
On a side note, the Ocean X Team has a lot riding on the exact nature of the Anomaly. After all the hype, anything but a UFO will cause a loss of public interest. Even a shipwreck would be viewed as a disappointment. With that being said, we think its wise to reconsider the team’s tweet from May 30.
This military exercise is real…but very easy to explain. Since 1971, United States Naval Forces Europe has participated in BALTOPS, an annual military exercise in the Baltic Sea. But the tweet seems to be implying something else, namely that the military exercise has something to do with the Baltic Anomaly.
Guerrilla Explorer’s Analysis
The odds of finding a UFO are beyond miniscule. And no one’s going to buy a documentary about a hot spring. So, we can’t help but wonder if the purpose of the May 30 tweet was to lay the groundwork for a story about “military intervention.” Ufologists are paranoid about government cover-ups of alien spacecraft, perhaps rightly so. However, that same paranoia can be tapped into by unscrupulous people looking to make some money.
Overall, we hold out hope the Ocean X Team has discovered something truly unusual. Barring that, we hope they will be upfront about what they discover. However, our skepticism on both counts continues to grow.
Guerrilla Explorer’s Coverage of the Baltic Anomaly
- 1/30/12: A Lost Shipwreck…or a Lost UFO?
- 6/2/12: The Baltic Anomaly?
- 6/6/12: The Baltic Anomaly: UFO…or just a Hot Spring?
- 6/8/12: The Baltic Anomaly: A New Discovery?
- 6/12/12: The Baltic Anomaly: Is it a Hoax?
- 6/13/12: The Baltic Anomaly: Another “Great Lakes Hoax”?
- 6/14/12: The Baltic Anomaly: The Lost Updates?
- 6/15/12: The Baltic Anomaly: Answers at Last?
- 6/16/12: The Baltic Anomaly: Questions & Speculation?
- 6/17/12: The Baltic Anomaly: What is Going on Here?
- 6/18/12: The Baltic Anomaly: The Bigger Picture?
- 6/19/12: The Baltic Anomaly: Is it a Black Smoker?
- 6/20/12: The Baltic Anomaly: That Mysterious Pillar?
- 6/21/12: The Baltic Anomaly: The Nazi Connection?
- 6/22/12: The Baltic Anomaly: The Ocean X Team Speaks!
- 6/23/12: The Baltic Anomaly: What is the next “Anomaly”?
- 6/27/12: The Baltic Anomaly: Is it Natural…or Artificial?
- 6/28/12: Breaking News: Is the Baltic Anomaly an Elaborate Hoax?
- 7/2/12: The Baltic Anomaly: What is the Secret Wreck?
- 7/6/12: The Baltic Anomaly: The Original Ocean X Team?
- 7/16/12: The Baltic Anomaly: The Fire and Ice Theory?