As we speak, Ocean Explorer is investigating the ultra-strange Baltic Anomaly, a gigantic underwater formation. Numerous explanations have been put forth, with a crashed UFO being one of the most prominent. But could the Anomaly be nothing more than a hot spring?
Background on the Baltic Anomaly
This is an exciting time for fans of the unexplained. Next month, TIGHAR will launch its latest expedition to Gardner Island in search for answers to Amelia Earhart’s mysterious disappearance. And right now, Ocean Explorer is searching the depths of the Baltic Sea for answers of a different sort.
For those of you who haven’t been following the story, last summer Ocean Explorer used side-scan sonar to “photograph” a strange object deep in the Baltic Sea, approximately 260 feet below surface. The object is about 200 feet in diameter, with a tail stretching over 1,300 feet across the sea floor. Its exact nature is unknown and thus, Ocean Explorer has returned to the site to give it a closer look.
Skepticism over the Baltic Anomaly
Now, I have to admit I’m skeptical of Ocean Explorer. They seem to have no problem fanning the flames of conspiracy theorists, which is far from a good idea for a scientific expedition that wants to be taken seriously. Take this tweet from May 30 to see what I mean.
This military exercise is real…but very easy to explain. Since 1971, United States Naval Forces Europe has participated in BALTOPS, an annual military exercise in the Baltic Sea. So, this looks like nothing more a weak attempt to get ufologists paranoid over military intervention. That’s a pretty big strike against Ocean Explorer’s credibility as far as we’re concerned.
As such, we’re required to take their statements with a grain of salt. That being said, here’s an interesting update from two months ago, which as far as I know hasn’t seen much discussion yet.
“incredible, we have measured the radiative value of the anchors we used. It’s quite intriguing, the normal level of radiation is 0,1 milli Sieverts and we get 0,63 when measuring on the anchors. It’s far from dangorus levels but still; it’s 6 times higher than a normal level of radiation. The anchors have been on the bottom like 2-3 kilometers from the circle, so one can wonder if we will get higher values of radiation the closer we get of the circle?” ~ Ocean Explorer, April 2, 2012
Six times normal radiation levels? Now, that’s a story. The cause of the radiation is unknown but of course, it’s assumed to be associated with the Baltic Anomaly. That begs the question…what could cause such radiation? Well, there’s actually a fairly easy answer…hot springs.
Guerrilla Explorer’s Analysis
Hot springs are created when groundwater in the Earth’s crust is heated by geothermal means. They are found all over the world. Sometimes, they contain radium. In fact, the famous hot springs in Ikaria, Greece, enjoyed by people for thousands of years, are radioactive. Here’s another example of gamma radiation being found in hot (and cold) springs in Jordan.
Now, geothermal heat appears to be quite common in the Baltic Sea. Plus, a large hot spring would explain more than the elevated radiation levels. It would also explain the shape of the Anomaly as well. When hot water is expelled from a hot spring, it causes dissolved minerals and the surrounding soil to be driven outward. These materials eventually cool and harden in the water. All in all, this might account for the vast amount of disturbed seabed as well as an object that looks like a sandbar.
So, is the Baltic Anomaly a hot spring? A natural rock formation? Something else? Well, the last report from Ocean Explorer stated they were “on a roll” as of June 4. So, in all liklihood, we should have answers soon.
Guerrilla Explorer’s Coverage of the Baltic Anomaly
- 1/30/12: A Lost Shipwreck…or a Lost UFO?
- 6/2/12: The Baltic Anomaly?
- 6/6/12: The Baltic Anomaly: UFO…or just a Hot Spring?
- 6/8/12: The Baltic Anomaly: A New Discovery?
- 6/12/12: The Baltic Anomaly: Is it a Hoax?
- 6/13/12: The Baltic Anomaly: Another “Great Lakes Hoax”?
- 6/14/12: The Baltic Anomaly: The Lost Updates?
- 6/15/12: The Baltic Anomaly: Answers at Last?
- 6/16/12: The Baltic Anomaly: Questions & Speculation?
- 6/17/12: The Baltic Anomaly: What is Going on Here?
- 6/18/12: The Baltic Anomaly: The Bigger Picture?
- 6/19/12: The Baltic Anomaly: Is it a Black Smoker?
- 6/20/12: The Baltic Anomaly: That Mysterious Pillar?
- 6/21/12: The Baltic Anomaly: The Nazi Connection?
- 6/22/12: The Baltic Anomaly: The Ocean X Team Speaks!
- 6/23/12: The Baltic Anomaly: What is the next “Anomaly”?
- 6/27/12: The Baltic Anomaly: Is it Natural…or Artificial?
- 6/28/12: Breaking News: Is the Baltic Anomaly an Elaborate Hoax?
- 7/2/12: The Baltic Anomaly: What is the Secret Wreck?
- 7/6/12: The Baltic Anomaly: The Original Ocean X Team?
- 7/16/12: The Baltic Anomaly: The Fire and Ice Theory?